Thursday, August 28, 2008

List-Building: Start with Your Passion and List Building

People new to Internet Marketing often ask me, "Whats the best way to start in Internet marketing?"

Im going to tell you a story about myself as a case study.

When I started, I had no HTML experience, and I couldnt put up a decent web page. I sucked at writing copy and I didnt know how to edit audio. I didnt know what an autoresponder series was, I didnt know how to make a redirect, and I didnt know how to approach people properly for a joint venture. I had no idea that list building was where any newbie should start. I think youre beginning to get the point, right? I didnt know anything.

The way that I got focused was to decide what I wanted to accomplish, and I knew that I would get distracted, if it wasnt a big deal.

So I came up with a goal that was massive to get me excited every day, when I woke up in the morning. I wanted to come up with a goal that would be inspiring to potential joint venture partners, too.

The first goal I had in mind was being incredibly successful marketing my attention deficit, self-improvement training online, and I needed to learn how to do that. So, the whole time I was learning marketing, the whole ADD idea was going on in the background for me. I wanted to be the Tony Robbins of attention deficit disorder, but I needed to figure out how to do that.

You can make a link between what youre doing with marketing, with your income, or your life and marketing, too. The question is "how" and thats where you have to apply some creativity. The first part is to really identify with what it is youre trying to go for and why it is youre doing what youre doing. Its the big picture here. You need to learn as much as you can about Internet marketing, so that you can achieve what you want to achieve, and it needs to start with list building

I figured that out intuitively. I thought, How am I going to learn about Internet marketing? Make a lot of contacts with self-improvement experts like Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and all those guys in the process? "Yes," I said, Im going to learn about list building because list building seems to me to be at least one of the core skills that a lot of successful Internet marketers seem to have mastered. Sure enough, list building happens to be one of those core skills. In fact, list building is THE core skill.

What I did next was I said, Im going to start list building with List Crusade and the goal is to build a list of a million subscribers in six months or less. Im going to do that and Im going to teach all of my subscribers about list building, as I do it. Thats my goal and Im going to promote the heck out of all of my joint venture partners that helped me get this thing launched by emailing their own lists.

Heres what this has to do with mindset: I came up with a goal that was inspiring to me and it was a huge goal. And I'm still list building every day because of what I learned. As a result Ive become a super-affiliate for most of the people that I promote.

What Im saying to you is: First, have a personal goal, and then, have a more specific goal, as it relates to Internet marketing, such as list building (which is where any online marketer needs to begin). Then, go after something huge that gets you excited every day and gets other people excited when you talk to them about it. Then, your chances of success are exponentially increased.

Just remember to start by list building, and you'll be on your way.

Tellman Knudson is CEO of OvercomeEverything, Inc. and a master of list building. Learn the 9 Laws of List Building at MyFirstList.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home